Maslow’s Hierarchy can be used in so many ways, and in this episode, J. and Zach look at a Bain study from the Harvard Business Review and discuss how it can apply to independent authors. You will discover the pyramid for products and services and more:
- Zach’s latest experiment with dictation using the Dragon Anywhere subscription service
- Some exciting things happening over on the Patreon
- An easy way to sneak more vegetables into your diet
- How the Harvard Business Review adapted Maslow’s Hierarchy to create the pyramid for products and services + how you can use this model to plan your author business
- The power of structured listening and knowing your audience
- Why you need to expand on your books to create new income streams and develop stronger relationships with your readers
- The difference between prototypes and products
- Why quality is important for everything you create, regardless of how small it is
- How to test new products before you release them
The Career Author Podcast is a podcast where co-authors J. Thorn and Zach Bohannon share their struggles and successes as full-time authors, advice for improving your writing craft, and honest discussions of what it takes to build a successful career as an author.
Thanks to our newest Patrons: Whitney, Paul Geltmacher
Get exclusive bonus content by supporting The Career Author Podcast on Patreon at www.patreon.com/thecareerauthor
Want to work with us? Get the details at https://thecareerauthor.com/services/
Daily Greens – https://drinkdailygreens.com/
Evolution Fresh – https://www.evolutionfresh.com/beverages/essential-greens-lime/
The Elements of Value – https://hbr.org/2016/09/the-elements-of-value
Reedsy Discover (use THECAREERAUTHOR discount code and save $10) – https://reedsy.com/discovery
Take our first annual listener survey by April 30th and be entered to win a stack of books on writing and craft. – https://thecareerauthor.com/survey/
The Career Author – http://www.thecareerauthor.com
The Career Author YouTube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmIYVcr1UdWgSvYpb3Ol3xg
StoryLevels – http://www.storylevels.com
Molten Universe Media – http://www.moltenuniversemedia.com
Events – https://thecareerauthor.com/events/
4 thoughts on “The Career Author Podcast: Episode 65 – The Pyramid for Products and Services”
Hi guys. Great way today J. Not sure if they’ve made it across to our shores yet but I’ll look them up in our local supermarket. I used to do my own juicing with fruits. Lovely but not too healthy due to the high sugar content. I love Maslow, but talking to customers… 😱 I became an author so I don’t have to talk to customers. I need to lie down for a bit. I feel better now. 🙂 I can handle the K-Lytics route or data capturing from reviews. I’ll check out the study.
There is another way Maslow can be used by authors. Use the original pyramid as a way to determine how much your POV is being threatened by conflict. So if their self-actualization is being threatened, so what? Who cares? But if their personal safety, their food and water source or their shelter is being threatened, now we’ve got conflict.
I love the business tips so great show today.
Thanks, buddy. Always nice to wake up to your first comment 😉
Very nicely done on the application of the pyramid to authors! 🙂 Although I do have to side with Zach on last week’s Pixar/Disney shoe…🙂. Reminded me a lot of the process of design thinking…