WELCOME TO THE CAREER AUTHOR SUMMIT 2021!
Join 120 other writers for this immersive, two-day conference and networking event in Nashville, Tennessee! Learn and laugh, and take the next step to becoming a career author.
LEARN HOW THE MOST SUCCESSFUL WRITERS DO IT.
FOR WRITERS OF FICTION AND NON-FICTION!
Are you stuck? Unsure of how to take your writing and marketing to the next level? Have you dreamed of being coming a career author but just don't know how to get there? Are you ready to show your family and loved ones what it means to live a life of passion?
Zach Bohannon and J. Thorn have been there since the beginning, writing and independently publishing since 2014 and 2009 respectively. They've sold well over a quarter of a million books combined, including millions of page reads of their Final Awakening series which they published through Molten Universe Media. They've been podcasting for years, sharing their successes and mistakes. They want to help you reach your goals, together, at this special event.
Join J. and Zach for two full days of sessions run by the best in the industry. J. brings over 25 years of teaching experience to the table while Zach has helped hundreds of authors on The Career Author Podcast. Not only are they career authors, but they're outstanding teachers who want to show you how to kick start your career.
SPONSORS OF OUR OTHER EVENTS
YOU’LL GET ACTIONABLE ADVICE YOU CAN USE IMMEDIATELY!
TOOLS AND TIPS FOR ALL KINDS OF AUTHORS.
WHAT PAST ATTENDEES OF THE SUMMIT ARE SAYING
"Thank you so much for putting on the single most influential event of my writing career! This weekend has been an unqualified success, and I have already begun sorting through the information and strategies put forward. I got something from every speaker or panel (usually multiple items). Words simply don't do justice to the value provided by your great show, and I can't wait for Nashville."
"My expectations were really high and you blew it out of the water. I'd come back in a heartbeat. If you want to sell books, this is where you want to be."
"Amazing! It's unique because it's all about marketing. I learned a lot! All around it's been just a great event."
"Really enjoyed it. I'm not self published but I still found it really relevant. Great information for starting new series. Very helpful in terms of my newsletter and reaching my fans. A lot of stuff I haven't thought of!"
"Loved every part of it. I knew I'd learn something but I didn't think I'd learn as much as I did. Way more than I know what to do with right now."
"I had been getting discouraged and frustrated as an author with a day job, and the Career Author Summit was exactly what I needed. Not only was it inspiring and motivating, but it was also full of practical tips and information that have led to a more productive writing routine and more book sales."
"The Career Author Summit was the first conference I attended, and I’m glad I did. J, Zach, Jim, and the speakers provided invaluable knowledge of independent publishing, and I connected with so many great authors. After attending, I feel confident in my ability to become a career author and can’t wait for next year!"
Kate M. Colby
"J. and Zach go out of their way to make the events special. Not only that, you will make strong friendships, and that’s so important for the longevity of your author career."
"The 2020 Career Author Summit was great in spite of having to be converted into a virtual event because of Covid-19. The organizers went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of, making the best of the situation. I'm looking forward to going next year in person."
"This conference was a gamechanger for me. Everything from tips and tricks to personal networking to a best-selling author saying she would “kick my ass” if I didn’t publish came out of this weekend and the sessions leading up to it. It was the jolt of electricity I really needed to fuel my passion and encourage me to move forward in my writing career. Highly recommended!"
"Not only was the content top quality, delivered by the leaders of our industry, but these same leaders rose up to provide extra hours of instruction because the Summit was switched to virtual instead of in-person. They answered every single question we had. The fellow attendees were friendly, helpful, and fun. The organizers were servant-leaders in every sense. I will definitely owe some of my future success to this conference."
Daniel J. Stutzman
SPEAKERS & PANELISTS
Sacha Black is an author, rebel podcaster and speaker. She writes books about people with magical powers and other books about the art of writing. When she's not writing, she can be found laughing inappropriately loud, sniffing musty old books, fangirling film and TV soundtracks, or thinking up new ways to break the rules. She lives in Hertfordshire, England, with her wife and genius, giant of a son
Stephanie Bond was seven years deep into a systems engineering career and pursuing an MBA at night when an instructor remarked she had a flair for writing and suggested that she submit to academic journals. But Stephanie, a voracious reader, was only interested in writing fiction–more specifically, romantic fiction. Upon completing her master’s degree and with no formal training in writing (her undergraduate degree is in computer programming), she started writing a romance novel in her spare time. Two years later in 1995 she sold her first manuscript, a romantic comedy, to Harlequin Books. In 1997, with ten sales under her belt to two publishers, Stephanie left her corporate job to write fiction full-time. She went on to write romance and mystery novels for Random House, St. Martin’s Press, and HarperCollins. In 2011, Stephanie launched a self-publishing business. Since that time, she has sold more than 2.5 million copies of her own books. To-date, Stephanie has published over 95 novels and has over 7 million copies of her work in worldwide distribution in numerous languages and formats. Stephanie lives in midtown Atlanta where she is probably working on a new story at this very moment.
Crys Cain is a full-time author with a passion for location-independent living (though she can't seem to leave Costa Rica for too long). She writes in multiple genres under secret pen names, but her true love is sci-fi and fantasy.
Caroline Donahue is an American writer, writing coach, and Podcaster based in Berlin.
The host of The Secret Library, she’s interviewed over 150 writers about what it takes to write and publish a book.
She’s also the author of Story Arcana: Tarot for writers and the creator of the course of the same name, as well as Next Draft and Dream to Draft, courses for writers ready to finish their books. She is currently wrapping up work on a novel.
Jeff Goins is a writer, keynote speaker, and award-winning blogger with a reputation for challenging the status quo. He is the best-selling author of five books, including The Art of Work, which landed on the best seller lists of USA Today, Publisher's Weekly, and the Washington Post. He lives with his family near Nashville, Tennessee. His website Goinswriter.com is visited by millions of people every year.
Steff Green is an author, blogger, metalhead and alternative wedding celebrant living in an off-grid home on 4 acres of rural paradise in New Zealand with her cantankerous drummer husband, her cat Socrates, a menagerie of farmyard animals, and their medieval sword collection.
Steff "Metal" Green
Rachael Herron is the internationally bestselling author of more than two dozen books, including thriller (under R.H. Herron), mainstream fiction, feminist romance, memoir, and nonfiction about writing. She received her MFA in writing from Mills College, Oakland, and she teaches writing extension workshops at both UC Berkeley and Stanford. She is a proud member of the NaNoWriMo Writer’s Board. She’s a New Zealand citizen as well as an American.
Dana Kaye is a veteran publicist, social media pro, and brand manager. In 2009, she founded Kaye Publicity, Inc., a boutique PR company specializing in publishing and entertainment. Known for her innovative ideas and knowledge of current trends, she coaches her clients on how to identify and establish their unique personal brands. Kaye is also the author of Your Book, Your Brand: The Step-by-Step Guide to Launching Your Book and Boosting Your Sales, and helps creatives become more memorable at DanaKaye.com.
A self-confessed book nerd, Mark is the former Director of Self-Publishing and Author Relations for Rakuten Kobo, a previous President of the Canadian Booksellers Association and is currently Director of Business Development at Draft2Digital. He started hybrid publishing in 2004.
Alicia writes for both young adults and adults with her brand of multicultural superheroes, dark fantasy, paranormal, and horror. Her stories always include strong women heroines who fight back, sometimes to the death.
Alicia lost her beloved son. He served as a NAVY Officer. His memory keeps her pushing forward. She is a native Detroiter who currently resides in metro Atlanta. Alicia works as a full-time writer and enjoys traveling to unique destinations with her husband.
T.W. Piperbrook lives in Connecticut with his wife and son. He is the author of the CONTAMINATION series, the OUTAGE series, and co-author of THE LAST SURVIVORS, as well as the author of THE RUINS. In his former lives, he has worked as a claims adjuster, a touring musician, and a business systems analyst for a Fortune 500 company.
Now he spends his days fighting zombies and werewolves, and roaming Ancient cities.
Romona Robinson is an eight-time Emmy Award-winning journalist, philanthropist and entrepreneur with 30 years of public speaking experience. She is a national award-winning author of A Dirt Road to Somewhere and now Your Voice is Your Power.
She is a television trailblazer becoming the first black female to anchor an evening broadcast in Cleveland. She was also the first woman to solo anchor an evening newscast in the city. As a journalist, Romona has traveled the country, covering presidents and world leaders, including Nelson Mandela and the late Ronald Reagan. In 2011, she garnered a rare, exclusive interview with President Barack Obama.
Romona is also recognized for her powerful, dynamic messages as a motivational speaker.
Becca Syme is a Gallup-certified Strengths coach and has been coaching success alignment systems for almost fifteen years. She has a Master’s degree in Transformational Leadership and after being a published author for several years, she realized that she could use the same success systems for authors that had always worked for individuals and companies. She has been teaching the popular Write Better-Faster course, which is about how the way we’re wired for success impacts how we can execute at our best as authors.
Becca writes the Quitbooks for Writers series of success alignment books and is the host of the Quitcast, all based on figuring out what we need to quit, what we need to keep, and what we need to question, as successful authors.
J. Thorn has published two million words and has sold more than 185,000 books worldwide. In March of 2014 Thorn held the #5 position in Horror alongside his childhood idols Dean Koontz and Stephen King (at #4 and #2 respectively). He is an official member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, the Horror Writers Association, and the Great Lakes Association of Horror Writers.
Michele Tracy Berger is a professor, a writer, a creativity coach and a pug-lover.
Her main love is writing speculative fiction, though she also is known to write poetry and creative nonfiction, too. Her short fiction, poetry and creative nonfiction has appeared, or is forthcoming in FIYAH: Magazine of Black Speculative Fiction, Glint, Thing Magazine, Flying South: A Literary Journal; 100 word story; Oracle: Fine Arts Review, Carolina Woman, Trivia: Voices of Feminism, Ms., The Feminist Wire, Western North Carolina Woman, and various anthologies.
WITH ZACH BOHANNON AS THE MC!
September 18-19, 2021
9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Saturday
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Sunday
Drury Plaza Hotel Nashville Franklin
1874 West Mcewen Drive
Franklin, TN, 37067, US
THE CITY - NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE
About Nashville by National Geographic Traveler
"A place nicknamed ‘Music City’ has a reputation to uphold, and Nashville certainly hits the right notes. Up and down Broadway, country music ebbs and flows from open-fronted venues like a rhinestone tide. But there’s considerably more to this city than just neon-powered honky-tonks and heartbroken harmonies. Nashville’s evolving into a thriving hub for young creatives, squeezed out of cities like New York by astronomical rents. They’re contributing to a restaurant scene that saw over 100 new openings last year, a lively farmers’ market, a flourishing rooftop cocktail culture and a boutique hotel boom. It sounds like Nashville is changing its tune — or at least adding a few new riffs."
About J. Thorn
I’ve published two million words and sold more than 185,000 books worldwide. I’m thrilled to work with you and help you succeed.
About Zach Bohannon
I’m a Top 100 Most Popular Author in Horror and Science Fiction. In addition, I’m the author of the bestselling zombie series, Empty Bodies, as well as the bestselling post-apocalyptic horror series, Final Awakening with over a million page reads and counting. I can’t wait to help you build your author platform.
DON'T MISS OUT!
So, what makes you different from the other conferences?
- Camo. Lots of camo. In all seriousness, thank you for considering our event as we know you have many options when it comes to advancing your author career.
- TCAS is for self-published or hybrid authors who are interested in becoming career authors. Whether you're earning $100 a month or $5000 a month, we want to help you gain financial freedom and security turning your passion into a career. If you love telling stories to inform or entertain, we're going to have speakers and content designed to help get you there.
- We've intentionally kept this event intimate so that you'll have incredible opportunities to network with us, the speakers, and each other. At the TCAS, you won't get lost in the crowd because there won't be one.
- Based on our (harrowing) experience with running a summit in the middle of a pandemic, we're now offering a completely virtual ticket at the same price as the in-person ticket. Virtual ticket holders will be able to watch the presentations live and in real-time (via Facebook Live) in addition to getting access to all video replays. While not being able to take advantage of meeting other authors and networking, virtual ticket holders will save on food, hotel, and transportation costs.
- If you're uncertain about your ability to attend in Nashville, buy an in-person ticket. You can always switch it to a virtual ticket at a later time. However, if you purchase a virtual ticket and we sell out the venue, you won't be able to switch to an in-person ticket.
What does the ticket price include?
- Admission to the two-day event and happy hour on Friday night.
- Dinner and socializing on Saturday night.
- Exclusive presentations and deals from our industry's most dynamic companies.
- Access to the exclusive and private communication portal, including video replays of all presentations.
- Virtual ticket holders will have access to ALL of the resources and videos for the entire event, from the safety and privacy of their own home.
What does my ticket price not include?
- Travel, meals, lodging, etc.
- Drinks at Friday night's social, drinks at Saturday night's dinner.
- Personalized beard grooming clinic by Zach.
Where should I stay?
- The Drury Hotel is hosting the event. However, the pandemic has changed hotel polices. Therefore, we strongly recommend you book a room at the Drury but unfortunately we cannot offer a designated block of rooms for our event. The hotel is in Cool Springs, minutes from downtown Franklin, and is where we’re holding the Summit so it’s probably your best choice.
- AirBnB options are limited so get that early bird ticket and book early.
What's your refund and cancellation policy?
- While we can't offer refunds for the event under any circumstance, you may sell or transfer your ticket to someone else. We will have a wait list and can pass along contact information but we do not process the transaction.
- In the event of an "Act of God" that prevents us from physically hosting the Summit at the hotel, we will pivot to a virtual event. No refunds will be issued.
- If we do not meet minimum attendance for the Drury, we will pivot to a virtual event. No refunds will be issued.
Can I be a volunteer for the Summit?
- Yes. Yes, you can. We'll set this up closer to the event, but keep an eye out for more information on how you can volunteer. We appreciate it.
What's the food situation?
- We will provide some snacks, water, and coffee, but we recommend bringing the food you like the most to the venue if you have dietary restrictions.
- Nashville has a hopping foodie scene with everything from sushi to barbecue. There are dozens of great options within a mile of the hotel as well as a Whole Foods Market. Make sure you ask Zach for some recommendations if you don’t know where to go.
What do you recommend for parking?
- The Drury Hotel offers free, on-site parking.